Sponsored Post – from Earth Day Austin
As you may know, Earth Day ATX 2017 will be held at Huston-Tillotson University on April 22nd. You may not know however, that this year’s event will mark a clear departure from previous years in the scope and depth of its engaging activities.
We are saving some of best features to announce in the coming weeks, but for now, here are a few highlights:
Rain Garden Installation
Our goal is to leave the campus even nicer than we found it. To that end, a rain garden installation will take place as a demonstration project during the Earth Day ATX event.
Local engineers, Huston-Tilloston students, veterans from the first ever Austin rain garden installation, and event attendees will work together throughout the day to install the garden. The rain garden will serve as an attractive landscaping feature that expands Huston-Tillotson’s sustainability profile as well as provides beautiful and useful vegetation.
Featured Activities From Our Sponsors
Also on display will be the world’s largest shovel, provided by one of our sponsors, Texas Disposal Systems. Certified by the Guinness Book of World Records, the shovel stands 40 feet high. The Capital Metro Transportation Center will feature local mobility provider organizations providing trip planning assistance for commuters and more! SunPower by Freedom Solar will offer the SunPower Gallery, a cool way to chill out, relax and enjoy great views of the city. The TreeHouse Thoughtful Living Showcase will feature products, services, and cooking demos that feature the latest innovations in sustainable living. Loyal sponsor HEB will also be onsite with fun and healthy activities.
The Eco Discovery Zone
This multi-sensory, interactive activity zone will feature a butterfly tunnel, endangered species, a vermiculture demonstration, virtual reality goggles, and a rainforest listening experience presented by the Rainforest Partnership.
And Much, Much More…
In the coming weeks, keep an eye out for more information about the following features:
- AMAZING environmental art installations.
- National Parks Conservation Association will feature all 16 national park facilities that have a presence in Texas. Participants will be able to earn a Junior Ranger badge for visiting each of them.
- Local restaurants and food manufacturers will feature their vegetarian fare in the Vegetarian Food Sampling Circuit.
- The Renewables Marketplace will show off the latest in renewable innovations.
- The Re-Zone will include a fix-it clinic, as well as workshops and exhibits from Austin Furniture Bank, Goodwill of Central Texas, Austin Resource Recovery, and Unbound from Austin Public Library.
- And more!!!
There is simply too much to list here, but come find out for yourself on April 22nd! See you at Earth Day ATX 2017!
Earth Day Texas Austin is a nonprofit 501(c)3 that produces Earth Day ATX and other events including monthly events and the “Green Eggs & Ham” breakfast networking series. Their headquarters, “The Austin Green Room” is regularly offered as a community resource for the area environmental community.
- Earth Day Austin 2017
- Saturday, April 22nd noon-7pm
- Huston-Tillotson University
- 900 Chicon St, Austin, TX 78702
Earth Day Austin is a ZERO-WASTE event.