There’s one common action you can take with nearly 2 billion people on March 31st at 8:30PM in your local time zone: turn off the lights. What began with the World Wildlife Foundation in Australia in 2007 has now grown to a global eco campaign that will reach individuals, families, businesses and governments when they commit to make greener choices on a daily basis. Click here for a video overview of Earth Hour. What's puzzling is that the only Earth Hour-related article found in the Austin American Statesman (Saturday morning) is an AP-syndicated story about Sydney, Australia – where Earth Hour first began in 2007: "Sydney Opera House in the Dark over Earth Hour."
There are at least two things happening in Austin tonight:
- The University of Texas tower will have delayed lighting to recognize Earth Hour. It's the third year in a row that UT has been participating. Read more here.
- Zilker Park Earth Hour (Sign up on the Facebook link) at 8PM. The invitation is cited below:
"AUSTINITES UNITE! We are participating in Earth Hour 2012 by meeting at Zilker Park at 8:00pm on Saturday, March 31st, 2012 and making a TEXAS-size HEART of lights to show our love for our Earth! Have front row seating and be a part of of the largest global voluntary action for the environment and watch the city lights in Austin go out for one hour at 8:30pm!!!! **BRING YOUR OWN candle and/or flashlight!** Let’s make Austin glow!
NOW WHAT YOU ASK?
(1) MARK YOUR CALENDARS for EARTH HOUR Austin 2012, Texas taking place on Saturday, March 31st, 2012 at 8:00pm at Zilker Park.
(2) TURN your lights OFF before you head to the park, OR if you can't make it to the park turn off your lights for one hour at 8:30PM on this day to show your support!
(3) Bring a flashlight or candle (depending on fire ordinance) – WE are going to make the biggest HEART made of lights to show our love for our Earth!!!!!
(4) Sign up here www.earthhour.org to let us know you will be taking part.
(5) Take a small actionable step beyond this earth hour to continue showing your support to our earth! ***For more information about this global movement check out www.earthhour.org!***
It's going to be such an uplifting and uniting experience! I can't wait! See you all at the park. SPREAD THE WORD!!!!! "
Are you aware of other Austin-related events or news for Earth Hour? If so, share them in the Comments section.