Sponsored Post – from Earth Day ATX
Earth Day ATX will take place on Saturday, April 22, from noon to 7 pm at Huston-Tillotson University. H-T is Austin’s oldest institution of higher education and is positioning itself as the most environmentally-conscious Historically Black College and University in the country. (In addition to hosting a wide array of environmental programs, our Earth Day ATX sponsor and host, Huston-Tillotson, powers some of its campus with solar panels installed by our headline sponsor, Freedom Solar.)
Registration for Exhibitors and Sponsors closes Friday at midnight. You can register and pay online with a convenient online registration form. Information about exhibiting and sponsoring is available on the website’s exhibitor page.
This year’s Earth Day will be truly amazing!
The star of this year’s event will be our huge array of immersive activities. Just a few of the more than 30 features and activities will include:
- “Butterfly tunnel” walk-through butterfly tent & interactive feeding
- Electric bike demo rides
- Fourteen Texas-based national parks and the opportunity to earn a Jr. Ranger badge
- Eco art sculptures, including the unveiling of pollution-themed Exhausted Tree
- A fix-it clinic – get clothes, jewelry, even some electronics repaired
- Community rain garden installation
- Food trucks and a vegetarian food sampling circuit
- Live Music with emcee SaulPaul
- Rock climbing wall, obstacle course and trampoline
- Town Hall meeting on the state of our community
- Curated environmental video showcases
- Cooking demonstrations
- Fun fitness classes all day
- Solar car races
- A “bike release” – giveaway of bikes for students
- Rainforest Listening Experience dome
- Vermiculture worms & worm castings that you can touch
- Virtual Reality goggles
- STEAM activities including Water Quality Testing
- Mobile science lab and Mobile River bus
In the Green Business Hub
- Job & Internship Board and Virtual Green Job Fair
- BizAid Workshop hosted by the City of Austin Small Business Development Center and Office of Sustainability – Green Business Leaders [12:30 – 2pm]
- Resume coaching
- Mentor sessions
Special Programs From Our Headline “Change Maker” Sponsors:
TreeHouse will host the TreeHouse Thoughtful Living Showcase. Come see the future of home improvement with healthy home products by TreeHouse. Living room and kitchen area outfitted with TreeHouse gear with an alternating series of inspiring presentations and cooking demonstrations.
Freedom Solar will be hosting a shaded outdoor lounge, as well as the SunPower Gallery featuring top-notch views of the Austin Skyline and all of the activities on the Earth Stage. Everyone’s a VIP here, so come enjoy a beverage, take in the scenery, and snap a photo at the Earth Day ATX photo booth. Freedom Solar will also feature their mobile stage with live entertainment.
Capital Metro is hosting the Transportation Pavilion, and will teach you to explore the city in a whole new way! Exhibitors will help you add walking, biking, transit, car sharing, ride sharing, carpooling or vanpooling to your daily commute. At and near the pavilion, find commuting resources, a bike valet and repair station, a B-Cycle pop-up station, a chance to design your own streets, the modern vehicle showcase, introduction to transportation mobile apps, and help to create a customized trip plan. PLUS, pledge to cut your carbon by changing your commute at least once a week, and you’ll be invited to make it official on the Graffiti Bus!
Texas Disposal Systems and Garden-Ville invite you to get an up close and personal look at the World’s Largest Shovel. The shovel stands tall at over 40 feet high weighing 5,000 pounds, displayed as a symbol of our commitment to reclaim, recycle and repurpose. The Garden-Ville shovel, which is made from all recycled materials diverted from the landfill including scrap metal and telephone poles, was designed and constructed by their resident artist, Chris Anderson.
Huston-Tillotson provides the backdrop for this event, as well as featuring some extraordinary programs such as Green is the New Black and Blackshear Bridge.
We also want to thank returning sponsor HEB. Although HEB will not be on site this year, as a headline sponsor, their support is much appreciated.
Many thanks as well to our “Innovator Sponsors:”
Earth Day ATX 2017 Event Details:
Saturday, April 22, 2017, noon – 7pm
900 Chicon St, Austin, TX 78702