The Austin EcoNetwork (AEN) is Austin’s only local environmental news source, connecting people to information, events, and resources related to Austin and the environment through our community website and weekly Austin EcoNewsletter. AEN began as a listserv in 2003, became a website in 2009 and added the EcoNewsletter in 2010. The website features Austin’s most comprehensive listing of green events on the EcoCalendar, blogs written by green thought leaders and a dedicated staff of journalism professionals, as well as a wide array of entertaining and educational podcasts.
What we do:
For more than 12 years the Austin EcoNetwork has been educating and connecting Austinites on important environmental issues throughout the city.
We believe that government only works when all of its citizens are educated and involved, and we work hard every day to provide Austinites with the practical information they need to stay informed and to get involved, however they see fit.
We do this by:
- Maintaining a comprehensive EcoCalendar, which lists a wide array of environmental events happening throughout the city, from composting classes to city council meetings.
- Hosting Austin’s only eco-job hub, allowing environmentally-friendly businesses to find passionate and qualified employees.
- Producing a regular podcast series, designed to entertain and educate new audiences on important environmental issues by focusing on positivity, fun, and real human stories.
- Publishing regular educational blogs and guest blogs (written by prominent community leaders) .
- Publishing a weekly newsletter that goes out to 8,000 Austinities, giving them the short and sweet version of the week’s green news and prepping them for the week ahead.
Austin EcoNetwork Mission:
Serve as a conduit of information and facilitator of action to help Austinites lead the way toward a healthy, sustainable community and planet.
Our four main goals:
- Share information and resources to raise awareness/educate about green issues, activities, policies, and businesses
- Encourage Austinites to take action, get involved, join, donate, and shop consciously and generally increase the adoption of sustainable practices for individuals, families, businesses and government
- Increase civic & political dialogue and engagement around green issues and foster leaders and policies that advance sustainability
- Build capacity/infrastructure for sustainability-oriented community/efforts
We’re a community-driven news source. What does that mean?
It means that we are part and parcel of the local community. We listen to their concerns. We cover issues that matter to them. We write about groups of people who are often ignored by the main stream media.
It also means that we help the community share information about local educational events, like lectures, marches, meetings, and festivals, all relating to the environment.
Want to participate?
If you want to post an event relevant to BOTH Austin and sustainability, log in to the site and add an event, or contact us. Fees will apply if the event is fee-based or hosted by a business.
So have a look around, listen to a podcast, and check out an event listed on the calendar. We hope you’ll be a regular visitor, make the most of what is offered and become a more active, informed Austinite.