Now that SXSW is here, how do you get there? Or, if you’re not a big SXSW fan, how do you avoid the festival altogether?
Introducing ATX Detour Day.
The City of Austin has dubbed Friday, March 9th as ATX Detour Day, in an attempt to reduce the massive amount of traffic that is coming to our city for SXSW and the start of spring break. More info>>
Austinites are encouraged to consider taking alternative (and sustainable) commute options on Friday. Recommendations include:
- Telework – If your boss allows it, ditch the car altogether and try working from home.
- Ride a bike – For the lowdown on all things biking in Austin (including a map of bike lanes) check out the city’s website
- Hop on a B-cycle – Don’t have a bike? Rent one from Austin B-cycle. A 24-hour pass is $12 and there will be lots of extra stations downtown for the festival.
- Take public transportation – Capital Metro will be running increased service from March 5th to March 18th. You can check out their extended hours here>>
- Walk – If you live close enough to work, walking is always a sustainable commute solution. Plus, it’s good exercise.
- Carpool – Reduce the number of cars on the road by sharing a ride with a coworker or a friend. To find a carpool buddy in the Austin area, sign up for myCommuteSolutions and get a trip match!