Raise your hand if you loved building forts as a kid!
Now’s the time to reawaken that childhood creativity with the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center’s Fortlandia exhibit. The Wildflower Center is currently accepting applications from creative individuals, groups, firms, and students to design, construct, and display forts as part of its recurring, temporary outdoor exhibit dubbed Fortlandia.
The whole idea is to inspire an appreciation of the natural environment with innovative and sustainable designs that encourage children and adults alike to get outside and play. The new exhibit will run from October 2019 to January 2020.
If you’re thinking about applying, just remember that designs should:
- Gracefully integrate into the Wildflower Center’s oak savanna landscape
- Inspire play and provoke the imagination
- Promote sustainability through the use of sustainable products, recycled materials, and plant materials
- Offer educational benefit related to resource conservation
- Be structurally sound and resilient to withstand weather, climbing, and other high impact activity
Winners will receive a $10,000 stipend and recognition from having their fort on display.
Think you have what it takes? Applications are due March 15th>>
Want to check out this year’s Fortlandia exhibit? It will be on display at the Wildflower Center through February 25th.