Coffee, Tacos and the Future of Green Jobs
January 22 @ 8:45 am - 10:30 amFree
We will have a panel of speakers including representatives from: Austin Energy Solar Division & Green Building Division, Lighthouse Solar, Labor Network for Sustainability, Carpenters Union Training Department, American Youthworks, Council Member Greg Casar, as well as training participants.
In addition to the speaker presentations, we will also have a solar tracker demo, vendor booths from Dewalt, Home Depot and Milwaukee Tool, toolbelt giveaways, and networking opportunities. And of course breakfast tacos, coffee and donuts!
This event is for you if you are:
- A solar contractor in residential, commerical or utility markets
- A policymaker or staffer interested in renewable energy, green building, climate policy or workforce development
- Interested in a career in solar & carpentry
- Work with underserved youth and minorities looking for job training and career opportunities
- Aligned with City of Austin’s goal of 100% renewable energy by 2035!
At this event, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about the solar and carpentry training program, the curriculum and the certifications the students will earn
- Hear from Austin Energy and other stakeholders about the upcoming solar opportunities in Austin and economic projections
- Network with solar contractors, future solar installers and green building apprentices, policymakers, City of Austin staff, Austin Energy staff,
- Meet the future graduates of the training program (and offer them jobs!)
- Support efforts to make a more inclusive solar employment market
We look forward to seeing you on Wednesday, January 22nd at 8:45am.
TRAINING PROGRAM DETAILS:
Program participants will earn certifications including: CPR, First Aid, Solar Installer Qualification, Fall Protection, OSHA-10, Rough Terain Forklift and Green Building Awareness Certification. Leadership, communication and softskills are also included in the curriculum so participants will be valuable assets to their new employers. Participants will earn 160 training hours which means they complete an entire year of the carpenters apprenticeship program in 4 weeks.
The class begins on January 27th and lasts four weeks from Monday to Friday, 7:00am-3:30pm. The training is free and participants will receive a weekly stipend. The next two training courses are from March 23-April 17th and June 8th-July 3rd. Youth, women and minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
This program is endorsed and funded by City of Austin Equitable Green Jobs grant, a collaboration between the City of Austin Office of Sustainability, Office of Equity, Office of Economic Development and Office of Innovation. http://projects.austintexas.io/projects/equitable-green-jobs/about/overview/