- This event has passed.
Equity, Inclusion, and the 2020 Census
January 18 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pmFree
Hosted by the League of Women Voters –
The LWV-AA Equity and Inclusion reading discussion for January will highlight how and why the 2020 Census matters for equitable and inclusive democracy, and how undercounts have been damaging politics in the United States. Furthermore, we will be discussing how the LWV-AA membership can do more to ensure that every person is counted.
Ahead of the discussion, attendees are encouraged to read the following articles in order to be able to fully participate in the discussion:
- Frey, William H. “These are the groups most likely to stop participating in the US census.” Brookings Institute, 6 April 2018, https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2018/04/06/these-are-the-groups-most-likely-to-stop-participating-in-the-us-census/
- “Will You Count? Households with Low Incomes in the 2020 Census.” Georgetown Center on Poverty and Inequality, August 2018, http://www.georgetownpoverty.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Low-Income-Families-HTC.pdf
- Ngo, Madeline. “Census citizenship question could affect amount of federal money Texas receives for critical needs.” The Dallas Morning News, 26 Jun 2019, https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2019/06/26/census-citizenship-question-could-affect-amount-of-federal-money-texas-receives-for-critical-needs/
- Chang, Alvin. “This chart shows how badly the census could still undercount people of color“ Vox, 27 Jun 2019, https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/6/4/18646395/census-undercount-people-of-color-chart
- Capps, Kriston. “Mapping the Threat of a Census Disaster in 2020.” CityLab, 30 Mar 2018, https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/03/mapping-the-threat-of-a-census-disaster/556814/
- Baumgaertner, Emily and Jim Tankersley. “Here’s Why an Accurate Census Count is So Important.” The New York Times, 27 Mar 2018, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/us/politics/census-citizenship-question.html
- Wang, Hansi Lo. “2020 Census Could Lead To Worst Undercount Of Black, Latinx People In 30 Years.” NPR, 4 Jun 2019, https://www.npr.org/2019/06/04/728034176/2020-census-could-lead-to-worst-undercount-of-black-latinx-people-in-30-years
- Needle, Elana. “Fully funded 2020 Census essential to racial equity, inclusive democracy.“ W.K. Kellogg Foundation, 23 May 2017, https://www.wkkf.org/news-and-media/article/2017/05/fully-funded-2020-census-essential-to-racial-equity-inclusive-democracy
- Bilick, Sari and Johnathon Heller. “What You Need to Know About Census 2020 and Equity.” Medium – Human Impact Partners, 12 Mar 2018, https://medium.com/@HumanImpact_HIP/what-you-need-to-know-about-census-2020-and-equity-4435d2dadbe3
- Shapiro, Robert. “The 2020 Census may be wildly inaccurate—and it matters more than you think.” Brookings Institute, 31 Aug 2017, https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2017/08/31/the-2020-census-may-be-wildly-inaccurate-and-it-matters-more-than-you-think/
- “Why the Census Matters for Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Communities.” Asian Americans Advancing Justice, Mar 2019, https://www.advancingjustice-aajc.org/sites/default/files/2019-03/Census%20National%20Factsheet.pdf
For more information, contact Director of Equity and Inclusion, Maria Milner, at email@example.com.