- This event has passed.
Roots and Wings Festival
October 27, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
From the Austin Parks Foundation, Austin Nature In The City, Zilker Botanical Garden, TreeFolks, Austin Parks and Recreation Department –
Celebrating trees, pollinators, and all creatures!
On Halloween weekend, we invite you to explore the outdoors, get your face painted, and celebrate in your best nature-themed costume!
The Roots & Wings Festival is a combined community-wide celebration for Arbor Day and Monarch Appreciation Day. This day of nature play and art just needs you! Come in costume or visit the costume creation station as we fill Zilker Botanical Garden with butterflies, bugs, and faeries. Let nature be your inspiration!
Roots & Wings Festival
Saturday, October 27th, 2018
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
Zilker Botanical Garden (and parks across the city!)
Family Friendly Fun:
• Opening Ceremony – Mechica Dance Group (9:20 am)
• Butterfly tag and release station
• Kid’s tree climb with City of Austin arborists! First come, first served.
• Storytelling and the Singing Zoologist
• Costume creation station
• Nature play and nature crafts
• Guided nature walks through Zilker Botanical Garden
• Food truck (or bring your own picnic!)
• Costume parade through the park (1:30 pm)
Arrive early for the opening ceremony by the Mechica Dance Group performing a Butterfly Ceremony (9:20) and stay till the end. The event closes with a costume parade through the Oak Grove and out into the garden for a final butterfly release. Then stick around after the celebration and spend some time exploring the beauty of the Zilker Botanical Garden. The event ends at 2:00 pm, but the garden will be open till 5:30 pm.
Zilker Botanical Garden Entrance Fees:
• $1 for kids under 12 and seniors 62 and over
• $2 for adults, Austin resident
• $3 for adults, non-residents of Austin
* We are not able to process credit cards at the gate. Please have cash available. We apologize for any inconvenience. *
Use code “Roots&Wings” for $5 off your Ride Austin trip to this event! Bike and scooter share discounts are also available through Smart Trips Austin!
Spaces will be designated for those who need accessible parking. Enter through the main Zilker Botanical Garden gate from Barton Springs Road for these spaces.
The Stratford Drive Parking Area is a gravel lot located under and adjacent to the Mopac Bridge. Attendees should enter the Zilker Botanical Garden through the Hartman Gate (also known as the Rose Gate) located at 2300 Stratford Drive. Space is limited.
Get behind the scenes access and help support the Roots & Wings Festival by volunteering! Learn more and sign up at https://bit.ly/2NGTn2v
Can’t make it to Zilker?
There will also be pop up events occurring throughout the city. Check out Roots & Wings events at the locations below:
• Patterson Park in East/Central Austin
Roots & Wings Pop Up: Patterson Park
• Dittmar Park in Southwest Austin
Roots & Wings Pop Up: Dittmar Park
• Alderbrook Park in North Austin
Roots & Wings Pop Up: Alderbrook Park!
• Brentwood Park in North Austin
Roots and Wings Festival: Brentwood Park
The City of Austin is proud to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require assistance for participation in our programs or use of our facilities, please call (512) 974-3914.