The Austin Reuse Directory is a project from the Austin EcoNetwork, supported by Austin Resource Recovery, designed to make it as easy as possible for Austinites to find a second home for everyday items. Reuse saves items from the landfill and makes them available to your neighbors, who in turn, can use them again!
Austin residents are estimated to dispose of $11 million in reusable items annually. A 2015 study showed that an estimated 6.6 million pounds of textiles are going to the landfill each year from Austin Resource Recovery’s curbside customers. That’s 18,000 pounds of clothes going in the trash every day rather than being reused or recycled!
That’s why we decided to create the Austin Reuse Directory.
With this directory you’ll be able to easily figure out where to donate or sell your used clothing, electronics, furniture, and other households items. All you have to do is type the item you want to find a home for into the search bar below, or select an item from the drop down list. (First time visiting the directory? Full instructions for how to use the directory are below).
Here’s how you search using the Austin Reuse Directory:
- Location – the directory automatically sorts the list by location, so you see the stores and organizations that are closest to you first (Please note – this feature only works if you’re connected to wifi. If you’re using a public wifi network, location sorting also might not work correctly).
- Item – You have two choices for this one.
- Type the item you want to find a second home for directly into the search bar. (Just remember to try and keep things general. Instead of typing in t-shirt, type in clothing).
- If the search bar doesn’t turn up any results (or if you’ve got multiple items you’re trying to find a second home for), you can simply select them from the “Items” drop down list.
- Categories – This allows you to sort based on the services they provide to the community. (For example – do they serve veterans? Or help clothe the homeless?) This way you can be sure your donation is going to a cause you care about.
- Filter By – This allows you to filter your search by some of the unique services that the reuse business or organization offers. (For example – do they only collect children’s clothing? Or do they offer 24-hour drop off services? Are they a nonprofit organization?)
- Item quality – For example – Is it a designer good? A piece of clothing with lots of hole and tears? Some organizations will accept almost anything, others are only looking for higher end goods.
Have a bunch of items that you want to donate/get rid of all at once? Don’t want to spend the time individually searching on the directory for the perfect place to take them? Check out this short list of organizations from the Austin Reuse Directory that accept a wide array of items (more than 10) so you can drop everything off in one place.
- Child Services
- Community Engagement
- Disability Services
- Disaster Relief
- Education and Literacy Promotion
- Elderly Support
- Employment Services
- Family Support Services
- Health Services
- Homeless Relief
- Immigrant Services
- Pet Resources
- Poverty Relief
- Religious Organization
- Veteran Services
Are you a business owner or nonprofit director? Do you buy used goods or accept donations of used goods and don’t see yourself on this list? Simply fill out this form and we’ll get you on here right away!
Is your business or organization listed, but you’ve noticed some mistakes in our listing? Please let us know! We want the information on the directory to be as accurate as possible. Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get things fixed right away.